Ring in this Chinese New Year with some Guilt free Spring roll. This was made in a breeze with basic ingredients. Here i have made use of ready made Samosa Patti to give nice crunchy healthy spring rolls.
- Samosa Patti – 10
- Chicken – 1 Breast/Thigh
- Mushroom – 150 gm
- Onion – 1 Small Chopped
- Garlic – 5-6 Clove
- Veg Oil – 3-4 Tbsp
- Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Carrot – 1 chopped (Optional)
- Beans – 6-7 chopped (Optional)
- Spring Onion
- Soya Sauce – 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – Pinch
- Salt – to taste
- You can used left over chicken or cook chicken with just salt and little pepper. Crush them into smaller bite size pieces and set aside.
- In a pan heat 2 Tbsp oil and saute Garlic till it starts to brown.
- Add finely chopped Onion and saute till translucent.
- Add Mushroom, i used button Mushroom sliced into thin strips. One medium mushroom sliced into 5-6 pieces. Mushroom will give out a lot of water once cooked. So if we slice them too small they will reduce into even smaller pieces and you wont get the bite in your rolls.
- Add sufficient salt and pepper, a little salt goes a long way for mushroom. Once the water is gone they will turn salty. So start with a small pinch.
- Cook till they loose all the water and start to brown. This is what gives Mushroom that great sweet flavor.
- Set them aside and reheat Pan with 1-2 Tbsp oil. We are going to stir fry all the chopped veggies at high temp. ie, if you decide to add any Veggies.
- You can skip Step 7 if you not adding any additional Veggies. Directly into browned mushrooms add crushed Cooked Chicken, add soya sauce, vinegar, sugar and cook till it all dries out. The filling shouldn’t be too moist or it will make the roll soggy.
- Keep it aside to cool, till we gather things to assemble the roll.
- I used Ready made Samosa Patti. Thaw the sheets before assembling(as per package instruction). Stuck two strips on the longer side using egg white (could use flour water mixer) . Wet one long end of patti using egg white and overlap it with another one. Cut this combined patti into two at the longer end, we would get a near square wrap to roll. You could use Ready made Spring roll wrap as well.
- Place a corner side of the wrap facing you, and place the filling diagonal to the corner. Too much of filling will make it hard for you to roll. 1-2 Tbsp will be sufficient. Fold the corner to the top of filling.
- Gather the left side of wrap and over lap it and then the right (make sure the folds are inward). Roll this into tight wrap and seal the end by wetting the final end(corner) with egg white.
- Brush both the sides with egg white and liberally brush all sides with Veg oil.
- Spread the wrapper spring roll on baking tray and bake at 160C for 6-7 mins till the wrap browns, turn the wrap in the baking tray and bake for another 5 mins at the same temp till the other side also browns.
- These rolls are crunch on the outside and flavorful inside.
Note: The time taken for baking the wrap will vary with the brand of wrap used, as their thickness varies. So watch out for the wrap while baking.