My little explorer has started having his own preference for food. He No longer fancies porridge made of Millet/ragi or Oats or Raw banana – his normal afternoon food/snack.
The minute Oven goes on he recognizes the sound and wants to supervise it till final beep. He refuses to eat anything else, till he gets his share of whatever comes out of oven.
When I came across this, I knew I had to make it for KID. It’s got no flour, but all things he refuses to eat now, in cookies form; which he loves. It’s an easy recipe to bake. It is taster than store brought multi grain cookies, so even grown ups can snack on them. Easy wholesome snack to pack for travel.
- Millet/Ragi – 50gm
- Oats – 20gm
- Wheat/Atta flour – 60gm
- Jaggery – 50gm
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Baking powder – 1/8 tsp
- Cardamom – 1/2tsp optional
- Clarified butter/Ghee – 55gm
- Water/milk – 1-2Tbsp
- Dry roast Millet till they no longer smell raw, and starts to smell little nutty; cool them.
- Powder jaggery by grating or pulsing in mixer/food processor.
- Crush or pulse oats.
- Mix all dry ingredients well.
- Add ghee at room temperature and mix till they turn into bread crumbs consistency.
- Sprinkle 1Tbsp water and mix it uniformly, try gathering into stiff dough. Sprinkle little more water if needed.
- Wrap and rest for 30mins in fridge.
- Make lime size balls and flatten them by pressing it between palms. Thinner the mix crusher it will be. I kept it little thick for KID.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 12-13 mins to keep it soft.
- They will be little soft out of oven. Cool them and store them.
Give to kids, only if you have already introduced the ingredients separately and if they know how to eat cookies.
If you bake them longer will turn crunchy(3-4 mins).
Big piece of Jaggery will caramelize and make it crunchy, hard for kids to chew, but will be tasty for grown ups.
Makes 14-16 cookies.
Do not over knead after adding ghee and water, or will turn chewy.
Can add cinnamon or cardamom for flavor.
Consider this more of a snack then meal. One or two is filling enough.
Ghee can be replaced with softened butter(same quantity).
Jaggery can be replaced with sugar(same quantity)