‘You should eat like a local..’ the mantra we keep hearing from nutritionist and ancestors. Because tradition food cycle is based on the changing climate and Terrance .
Holi – festival of colors – marks the onset of summer in North India. Holi is incomplete without the refreshing drink of Thandai. Not only is it yum, its cooling, provides immunity, deoxidizing, energising drink. Best drink to beat Indian heat. More here.
I powdered all the ingredients together and stored it, so I can use it on days I need that extra boost. I even added white rock sugar to the mix. Try add all the listed ingredients, but give or take few ingredients – still, these will be any day better than store brought energy mix.
- Almond – 1/4 cup
- Cashew – 1/4 cup
- Pistachio – 1/4 cup shelled
- Black Peppercorn – 10 – 15
- Cardamom – 10
- Cinnamon – 1/2″(optional)
- Melon/pumpkin seed – 2 Tbsp
- Poppy seed(khuskhus) – 1 Tbsp
- Fennel – 1 Tbsp
- Saffron – 10 strands
- Rose petals / essence
- Rock sugar – 4-6 Tbsp crushed
- Pulse all of the ingredients in a dry blender till they powder well.
- Store in airtight container and use.
NoteMix 1-2 Tbsp thandai powder with hot milk, chill and drink.I didn’t add Rose petal/ essence. But do not miss on cardamom, fennel, pepper, any nut.Mix with coconut/ almond milk for lactose intolerant or vegan recipe.Tamarind chutney and soya samosa to bring more festivity.